Jump to RecipePrint RecipeI shared this recipe back in July. I think it’s worth sharing again. It’s easy to prepare. It’s cheesy, creamy, flavor is comforting. The spinach adds much needed vitamin C and iron this time of year. Now don’t write this one off because it’s full of spinach…..”my kids will never eat that!”. Do they need to know? Well, I realize they will see it in there…just make them take one bite. My vegetable hater…child #3 even tolerates this meal. (I think he secretly loves it, but his pride keeps him from admitting it!)
- 2 boxes Uncle Bens Original Recipe Long Grain Wild Rice do not use the fast cook version, needs to be original
- 4 cups water
- 4 tbsp butter
- 6 ounces deli ham, diced I prefer to use thick cut ham steak, or you can also purchase this already cubed in the breakfast meat section of most grocery stores
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed I have also used ground chicken.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup fontinella cheese, grated you can substitute Monterey Jack, Gruyere, or mozzarella
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups spinach, chopped pack washed spinach leaves in a cup to measure, then chop coarse to fine depending on your preference
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9x13 baking dish. 1. In a 6-8 quart pot add rice, water and butter. Bring to a boil and cover. Cook for 18 minutes. Turn off stove, do not uncover, allow to sit while you prepare remaining ingredients.
- 2. In a sauce pan, add olive oil and turn burner to medium heat add in cubed or ground chicken and brown until cooked through. Add minced garlic, sauté with chicken for an additional minute or until fragrant and beginning to brown. If there are brown bits on bottom of the pan turn off heat and add a splash of water and loosen the bits.
- 3. Add remaining ingredients to rice; chicken, milk, cheeses, ham and spinach. Mix to combine. If it seems like it needs a little moisture add a splash more milk.Scoop cheesy rice chicken mixture into buttered 9x13 casserole dish, or cake pan. Place uncovered in a 375 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly and starting to brown around the edges!