Love the warm, salty chips that you get in Mexican restaurants? So easy to do at home, three ingredients and a little time, you might never buy another bag of tortilla chips again!
It’s no secret that I love Mexican food! It is hands down my favorite cuisine, and I am positive I will never tire of it! Next week is Cinco de Mayo, and you can bet I’ll be sharing more than a few Mexican inspired recipes leading up to the day. If you are a history buff I’m sure you know that Cinco de Mayo is a celebration observed to commemorate the Mexican armies unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. (It’s should not be mistaken for Mexico’s Independence Day the most important national holiday in Mexico celebrated on September 16.)
I do love history….but I love food more! So this day is totally about the TACOS!!
I know you are a true lover of Mexican food if you order your tacos with corn tortillas. Please don’t tell me you love mexican food and then order tacos with flour tortillas, ice berg lettuce and cheese. UGH! That is not Mexican food people!
Oh my gosh I’m getting so hungry. Me need chips and salsa! I’m the equivalent of cookie monster only with tortilla chips. Tortilla chips are like milk, butter, and eggs in our house. Theyre a staple. So when we sat down to eat our tamale pie recently and I realized we had nary a tortilla chip in the house, I went into MacGyver mode! Because, I did have corn tortillas and you know what tortillas chips are right? They are just fried little wedges of corn tortilla!
However I did not want to stink up the place by frying anything, so I jacked up my oven to 450 degrees.
Bake for 5 minutes, remove from oven toss the chips around on the baking sheet, turn them over and sprinkle with a bit more salt, return to oven for another 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them they may get done faster. Remove to a plate, sprinkle with a little more salt.
So easy. If they get cold and you want to warm them up, just pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds!
Back to the story of tamale pie without corn chips, my family actually sat, watched, and waited while I went into preservation mode to get chips on the table for dinner. LOL. I’m sure that sounds absolutely ridiculous to most people, but well we do love us some chips!
Baked Tortilla Chips
- 1 baking sheet
- 20 corn tortillas
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- kosher salt
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut corn tortillas into 8 pieces each.
- Place half the pieces in a mixing bowl and drizzle 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over, tossing as you drizzle.
- Lay tortilla wedges on a baking sheet, its ok if pieces overlap a little bit.
- Place in preheated oven for 5 minutes, remove, flip wedges over with a spatula or tongs, return to oven and bake another 5 minutes, checking frequently. If any wedges seem to be getting burnt removed to a plate and return pan to the oven until all wedges start to brown and become crisp! Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with more salt, let set a minute then remove chips to a plate or bowl.
- Repeat process with remaining corn tortilla wedges.
Ok so tell me, don’t be afraid…corn or flour tortillas???
Peace, love, Chips and Salsa!